Thank you for tuning in today, for the final dispatch of this year. My blog has really grown this year with more regular uploading on my part, and I am extremely grateful (and astounded) that people read and enjoy the content I put on here. So thank you, everyone of you, it means a great deal to me.
I did one of these last year so I thought why not do one again. After reading through the previous one it really struck me how much has changed, in myself and the world I’m living in now. COVID-19, starting university, the people in my life. I’ve lived ALOT in the space of 12 months ( though one goal has not been achieved but we can work on the motorcycle at some point in the future-though I was listening to a podcast today with some pretty graphic descriptions of pelvic fractures in the ER…).
Before I begin I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who reads the (questionable) posts I produce, and to those who have helped me grow during these ‘unprecedented times’. Happy New Year All!
Let’s jump right in with
Personal Growth kinda thing
- Birds, Art, Life and Death by Kyo Maclear
- Sara: The Prison Memoirs of a Kurdish Revolutionary by Sakine Cansiz ( translated by Janet Biehl)
- The Cancer Journals by Audre Lorde
- Memet My Hawk by Yasar Kemal
- I Stared at the Night of the City by Bakhtiyar Ali
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet
- Reality by Rabia Al Basri
- The Voyage by Louise Michel
- Ablation by Helen Mort
I don’t know really how to do this but let’s go with albums
- Mediterranean Sounds by Belle Chen
- Stillness in Wonderland by Little Simz (ok don’t judge it’s a repeat but v special)
- Second Verse by Faraj Suleiman
NEW CATEGORY ALERT: Films
- Close Up by Abbas Kiarostami
- Wanda by Barbara Loden
- A Woman Under the Influence by John Cassavetes
- Ologies by Alie Ward
- Panthers and Guerrillas: Black America, Kurdistan, and Their Struggles For Freedom by Neighbor Democracy
- Too Much Medicine? The Problem of Overtreatment by Dr Margaret McCartney
- (and a sneaky one I listened to a few days back but blew my mind) Mental Health and South Asian Women by Soul Sutras
- Infinity Train Season 3
- Summer Camp Island Season 3
- Bir Baskadir
- Bee and Puppycat: Lazy in Space
And finally a customary goal summary. I think this year I have been more conscious of what I’m exposing myself to, but going forward I want to be more comfortable producing things. To not read my posts with a sense of revulsion, write and exist creatively more publicly (make that chapbook!). It sounds like a pretty modest resolution but I know that I’m going to have to put in some work to make it happen. Being comfortable in my own skin, literal and figurative.
See you in 2021!